One thing I did not know about hatchling tortoises when I brought Malti home…..they really like to sleep.
Let me rephrase: they REALLY like to sleep.
It makes sense, now that I think about it – she’s a baby, and what do all babies do a lot of?
But unlike human babies, Malti prefers to sleep under a thick blanket of wet spaghnum moss and wood chips.
Fresh wet spaghnum moss (just in case you’re wondering) is not my favorite scent.
But she loves it, so fresh wet sphagnum moss it is.
Malti’s other favorite activities are as follows:
- Basking on her rock under the heat lamp
- Running around on our front lawn
- CLIMBING (especially anything she is too little to get up onto)
- Squeezing IN places where she does not fit
- Hiding (she likes to hide under the moss AND sleep at the same time)
- Did I mention sleeping?
As she adds more activities, I will update them here.